When it Snows it Showers

POSTED IN | 10:12 PM


I was starting to think these proud, upstanding Wyomingites were all a bunch of liars. Ever since I crash landed here in my space pod on these Mars-esque rolling hills I have been hearing about the Wyoming winters. It always went like this with people I met:

Me: Yeah, I'm from Oklahoma, blah, blah, blah...

Proud, upstanding Wyomingites (PUWs): OKLAHOMA! Oh boy, are you in for a cold winter, sonny boy! Whew doggie! Rootin' tootin! Sweet fancy Moses! Gordon Bennett! (blah, blah, blah)

So. With such a delightful fall that came to roost here in eastern Wyoming, I accepted their climate forebodings in stride and only internally slandered them equivocators.

Then, as they say, the bottom dropped out last week. The cow troughs froze over, bears found their seasonal holes (woohoo!) and I started to see a very different vision of this remote outpost land. That vision came in long-underwear and wintry mix form, as last week posted a low of negative 3 degrees F. Cold as bollocks, one could argue.

So, amigos, it seems the cold is here to stay. Pass the milk and cookies, I guess. 'Nog? Plumb diggety! Packing on the Winter 15 is the way people roll around here, so I hear...

Some pics around my block from last week:


The back alley of my pad. Note the white wolf, nestled keenly immediately by my front door basically. My place is about 300-400 sq. feet and quite nice I have to say. Beauty, Clark...


My hood is all about the alleyways. Looking down my block to the south.


My landlords live here, immediately in front of me. They're nice folk, and invite me to dinner here and there, bake me bread and let me use their washer/dryer. We haven't talked room service yet, but it's on my long-term to-discuss list.


And there's the crib, folks. Part garage, part bach pad. Straight up. Interestingly, on the right side of the frame you see a hot tub. Also on the to-discuss list with the landlords. "Well, you see, the warm water is really good for my war wound!"
SUBSCRIBE

4 Responses to 'When it Snows it Showers'

  • Molly said...
    http://justpixels2.blogspot.com/2008/12/when-it-snows-it-showers.html?showComment=1228923120000#c1060824630508058344'> 9:32 AM

    For a second there I was actually looking for a white wolf in that first shot. But then it dawned on me...car...

     
  • Thomas said...
    http://justpixels2.blogspot.com/2008/12/when-it-snows-it-showers.html?showComment=1229210700000#c266386248221074913'> 5:25 PM

    so have you put chains on your bike tires or just given up?

     
  • Anonymous said...
    http://justpixels2.blogspot.com/2008/12/when-it-snows-it-showers.html?showComment=1229241960000#c6488824848952068487'> 2:06 AM

    John, as a physician I am always interested in wounds. Obtained in war or otherwise. Now is the war wound that you specify, the one from your bike wreck I treated before your South American adventure or the one caused by the unfortunate interface between braces, lips and trombone? Just curious, but I love the north country single man's bachelor pad, very Northern Exposure. Dr. Alex

     
  • Hannah said...
    http://justpixels2.blogspot.com/2008/12/when-it-snows-it-showers.html?showComment=1229319540000#c6111826802474509624'> 11:39 PM

    You need to post a new weather photo...one that shows the world it hit minus 39 degrees -- with wind chill -- this Sunday morn. Whew doggie! Sweet fancy Moses! That's cold. And you thought us Wyomingites were a pack of liars. Sheesh.