Baño Man

POSTED IN | 12:20 AM


~For Mik~

Our teams play soccer in the same park every week. There are several places to use the facilities at the park. Unfortunately you have to pay for it. Fortunately, it's only about 20 cents, and you get to meet people like the Baño Man, as we'll call him.

He's one of the bathroom attendants. He'll whip out his trumpet and play various tunes from time to time. Amusing. Today I told him I play the Trombone and so we shared a brief brass-player camaraderie. And then he played the US national anthem from memory for me. It was actually quite good. I didn't know if I should've removed my hat or stood at attention. So I just leaned against the bathroom entrance and listened to his rendition. Interesting that I was hearing a Costa Rican man play the United States' national anthem that was originally a British drinking song (the tune at least). Globalization in action...or something.


"Oh say can you see..."


He wears a hat constructed of plastic junk-food wrappers. Why not? I think it fits his style.
SUBSCRIBE

2 Responses to 'Baño Man'

  • Mikki said...
    http://justpixels2.blogspot.com/2007/09/bao-man.html?showComment=1191164640000#c6015255489188754258'> 10:04 AM

    This is grand. I should stand outside the bathrooms at CIM and play excerpts for people as they park themselves on some porcelain. Longer zerpts for longer stays, shorter ones for quickies.

     
  • http://justpixels2.blogspot.com/2007/09/bao-man.html?showComment=1191185760000#c2770375406685012686'> 3:56 PM

    Will you take your trombone to the bathroom to return the serenade? Maybe play the tico anthem? (Was the tune of the tico anthem formerly a Spanish bar tune?)

     

Archives