Fútbol Profesional

POSTED IN | 8:04 PM
Wednesday night saw us cruising through San Jose in our venerable diesel microbus with a load of La Carpio peeps in the hold. Our intended destination: a professional Costa Rican soccer match. Most of the people I'm around are fans of Saprissa, Costa Rica's winningest pro soccer franchise. So, with the common paradigm already in place, I figured I'd be a Saprissa fan too. A vicarious fanship. Kind of like my devotion to my bro-in-law's beloved Derby County Rams. But I'm okay with that.

It was a close game, and the atmosphere and weather made for an easily enjoyable sporting-event package. I like people watching, and there were many opportunities. I also managed to see my first (and then second) soccer-fan brawls before and during the game. Thugs + Alcohol = rowdy times. The policias mopped things up before they got too ugly, but I thought it was sort of exciting.

I decided I need to see a pro USA soccer game now. I've cheered at a few UK ones and two here. Time to support the industry closer to home. So I'm thinking maybe a Dallas Burn excursion...but we'll see.


We geared up before the game, much to the adolescents' enjoyment. Oh, and that's my roommate, Steve in the mask. He pretends to be an adolescent sometimes...


We were all ready for the game and then everything went black. Literally. The whole block lost power. Apparently this happens not infrequently. CR's power company is centrally controlled by the gov't and is known for providing inconsistent wattage.

Strangely the people don't seem to mind much. Can you imagine this happening at an OU home game? Heads would roll. But an amusing cultural experience. We waited in the dark with the other thousands for the lights to come on. About five beers later (by the locals' standards), they flashed on. I heard a guy yell "La LUZ!" (the light) It was go time.


The whole group, pre-game. Go team!


Party in the back. Very impressive. My first CR mullet sighting. I caught my breath.


Field overview.


Warm up.


Getting excited...sort of.


An evening fog came in with the second half. This was the vantage point from our seats. Mid-field, front-row action.


Not much of a coffee drinker. But, when it's locally grown and brewed and purchased for you, why not. A nice addition to the crisp evening.


We were tied late in the second half. Then our team scored with three minutes left in regulation. Spirits were high. Saprissa won 3-2!

I also had a funny language slip at the game. The Saprissa fans have a slogan Morado Corazón. It means purple heart, which corresponds with the team colors. So I attempted to sound cool with the guys and say this phrase. Instead I said Mojado Corazón which means wet heart. Hmm...not exactly the same sentiment. I had to laugh at myself. Fortunately no one else was really paying attention.
SUBSCRIBE

3 Responses to 'Fútbol Profesional'

  • Laura Negus said...
    http://justpixels2.blogspot.com/2007/09/futbol-profesional.html?showComment=1189224420000#c7903968925217311867'> 11:07 PM

    Interesting hawk-mullet... Great pics of the ninos.

     
  • http://justpixels2.blogspot.com/2007/09/futbol-profesional.html?showComment=1189278480000#c4423742903350941368'> 2:08 PM

    Sounds like the Ticos like to put their adjectives before their nouns. Very interesting.

    In that pre-game shot it looks like you're singing "This Little Light of Mine."

     
  • schupack said...
    http://justpixels2.blogspot.com/2007/09/futbol-profesional.html?showComment=1189289100000#c2167687522884441415'> 5:05 PM

    hey, language slips are good. Funny. And it means you're learning....??

     

Archives